Here is a new interview with Greece's Immensity who recently released their new cd through the great label Hypnotic Dirge Rec.
Interview with Andreas guitarist of Immensity done by Patrick
1. Hello Andreas how are things going with you and the band these days? Please introduce yourself to the readers?
Hello everyone! thank you for giving me this opportunity to express myself and not just only ! Not much to say about myself ! 34 years of age, born on an island in Greece called "Evvoia" from Italian mother and Greek father . Started to listen and get into to metal music at the age of 15!
2. At what age did you become interested in playing the guitars? Are you self taught or did you take lessons when first starting out?
I attend classes for a few months at the age of 18. But It seemed that I just could not listen to “their” rules, no one to tell me how and what to do suited me better, so I followed my instinct and inner voice along with some vital knowledge in the end.
3. Who are some of your influences and favorite guitarists? Besides the guitars do you play any other instruments?
Just like many youngsters back then..Metallica ! Also my first attempt to play "one" or "harvester of sorrow" Oh i was crazy about Joe Satriani and that's about it. I like playing some piano and synth though.
4. When did you first meet the other members of the band? Was it long before you all decided to form Immensity?
Well it was around late 2010 when I met Leonidas, after a few hours of discussion I understood that this man was on the same page and purpose for what I had in mind musically. The name came after my return from Canada after of two years of working abroad to earn my living.
5. What is the current line-up of Immensity and for the readers who have never heard Immensity's music how would you best describe it?
Myself Andreas Kelekis on Guitars / Synth, Leonidas Hatzimihalis on Vocals (clean and brutal), Yiannis Filippaios on Drums, George Kritharis on Bass though currently he's living far way from Athens . And worth mentioning a Remarkable friend of ours helps us out as session with gigs and other needs! Referring to Nikolas Loukopoulos on Bass of course. Chris Markopoulos on Guitars and last but least Nora Koutsouri on Keyboards / Synth.
How I would describe Immensity’s music ? I’d say “A sea of numerous moods and emotions“
6. Immensity has signed to Hypnotic Dirge how did you all come in contact with this great label?
During the time we were seeking for a label I Just send them a letter along with cd with Album recordings and to make long story short they liked what they heard and sooner than we could imagine we sealed an agreement. One of the best moves we ever made was surely contacting with Hypnotic dirge.
7. The new cd "The Isolation Splendor" will be available soon how long did it take to write the music for this release? Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member usually write everything?
70% are at least 8 years old material was based on my own ideas. The band mates helped me a lot to finish the other 30% and the outcome was this wonderful album. For me it is truly a redemption after so much hard work.
8. Besides working in Immensity do any of the members currently play in any other bands or solo projects?
Yes of course, our drummer is playing in a well known band called "Daylight Misery" and also conducts his own amazing band called DECEMBERANCE in the style of Extreme Doom Death Metal and is in fact One of the oldest bands in Greece. Also Nikolas Loukopoulos and Chris Markopoulos are hereby part of DECEMBERANCE as well. Just about all members were and are in different projects, but mainly , we are focused on Immensity’s Music which always comes first .
9. Immensity comes out of the Greek death,doom scene what is the metal scene like in Greece?
I think in total we barely reach a handful speaking strictly Doom, Death, not much indeed but hopefully increasing through time .
10. Who are some of your all-time favorite Greek bands? Are their any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?
Oh.. SEPTICFLESH, ROTTING CHRIST, EXHUMATION, ON THORNS I LAY...
Concerning new-ones i would say SUICIDAL ANGELS, TARDIVE DYSKINESIA, UNIVERSE 217, SHATTERED HOPE
11.Besides the new release "The Isolation Splendor" does the band have any other merchandise available for the readers if yes where can the fans buy it ?
We are working on this as we speak and planning to have a full package soon, we will surely make some announcements about that.
12.Thank you Andreas for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final words for the readers?
It was a great pleasure Patrick, I just want to say: Never give up your dreams , your goals or anything else you want to do in life. Cheers all, Hope you enjoy the album!