- ABOUT ANCIENT VISIONZ
- ANCIENT VISIONZ TALK RADIO & FAQS
- REVIEWS/RADIO INTERVIEWS/& SITE PROMOTION SUBMISSIONS
- THE WASTELANDS (CONCEPT HC PUNK/METAL RADIO)
- THE WASTELANDS RADIO SUBMISSIONS (PUNK/METAL)
- THE WORLD OF THE WASTELANDS
- THE WASTELANDS STORY ARCHIVES
- TV/FILM REVIEWS
- COMIC REVIEWS
- FILM INTERVIEWS
Sunday, 21 August 2016
Interview with Never To Arise - by Patrick on 10-4-15 (Death Metal)
Here is a new interview with Florida's own "Never To Arise" the band plays a mix of old-school brutal death metal and some elements of modern brutality that makes for a very good release.So If you are a fan of brutal death metal then be sure to pick a copy of the bands brand new cd "Gore Whores On The Killing Floor".
Interview with Gordon D. vocalist,guitarist and drum programmer for Never To Arise done by Patrick
1.Hello Gordon when did you first discover brutal death metal? Who were some of your your first bands you heard? Who are some of your current favorite bands?
Hello, Patrick. Thanks for having me! I am old enough to remember when death metal became well known. My early favorites were Carcass and Obituary. With so many great bands over the years it's hard to pick a favorite. Actually my favorite current band is Melechesh, who are not a death metal band. As far as DM bands, Dying Fetus manages to keep putting out great releases, and the first 3 or 4 Decapitated CDs never get old to me. And I would say Nile is an old reliable too. Both them and Melechesh do the old Middle Eastern style riffs. I love that stuff.
2. When did you first meet Mike K.? Was it long before you two formed Never To Arise ? How did you two come up with the name of the band?
Mike and I met about 15 years ago. It took a few years before we decided to do a musical project together. This was in 2006. Our band name came about because we couldn't agree on anything else! And calling ourselves "Nameless Death Metal Band" was not an option.
3. For the readers who have never heard Never To Arise's music how would you best describe it?
I describe it as true death metal. We don't place a ton of limitations on ourselves. The rhythms are hard hitting and fairly straightforward. The guitar work is diverse and sometimes complex. The lyrics are violent but we are not afraid to be musical. In fact we pride ourselves on being able to go from brutal blastbeats to mid tempo catchiness to somewhat melodic passages.
4. Never To Arise is getting ready to release their second cd "Gore Whores On The Floor" how long did it take to write the music for this release? Do you and Mike work on the music or do one of you usually write everything?
It took about 7-8 months, which was divided between 2010 and 2011. The music was actually written before our first CD was even released. So far it has been me writing just about everything, but if we are fortunate enough to do a third record we are going to make it a more collaborative effort.
5. Have you ever looked for a drummer to join the band or do you prefer to work as a two piece?
We like it being the two of us, but if the right situation came along working with a drummer would be fine.
6. Besides the new cd "Gore Whores On The Killing Floor" does the band have any other merchandise available for the fans? If yes where can the fans buy it?
Yes, our debut CD is called "Hacked To Perfection". It can be ordered here
7. Has the band ever played live or do you prefer to work in the studio?
We are strictly a studio band.
8. Never To Arise comes out of the Florida brutal death metal scene what is your opinion of Florida's brutal metal scene?
At one time it was really special. These days not so much.
9. Who are some of your all-time favorite bands coming out of Florida ? Are their any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?
Monstrosity, Malevolent Creation, Morbid Angel....basically any band who's name starts with the letter "M" ...hahaha. On the more serious side of things, I am not aware of any new bands that seem poised for greatness or anything.
10. Gordon you handle the vocals for the band when did you become interested in singing /growling? Do you do anything special to keep your voice and throat healthy?
The original idea when we formed the band and had some songs written was that I would attempt to do the vocals, and if it didn't sound very good we would get somebody else to do them. It turned out that both Michael and myself were satisfied with the performances. Its easier for me to take care of my throat because other DM vocalists are on the road playing gigs while I only have to use my voice for writing and recording.
11. Who are some of your influences/favorite vocalist?
Well, Chris Barnes is certainly an undeniable influence. Also the original vocalist for Sinister, Mike van Mastrigt. Mainly those two and some of the early '90s British vocalists. There are plenty of vocalists who are technically great but sound too samey. I like the ones who vary their cadences and put more emotion into what they are doing.
12. Besides the vocals you also handle the guitars when did you become interested in playing the guitars?Are you self taught or did you take lessons when first beginning?
Yeah I do all the rhythm guitar parts and an occasional solo. I didn't start playing until I was about 17. I am self taught.
13. Who are some of your influences/favorite guitarists?Besides the vocals and guitars do you currently play any other instruments?
Too many great guitarists to name. Some players would be Ed Van Halen, Tony Iommi, James Murphy, Piggy from Voivod, Tommy Vetterli and Bill Steer to name a few.
Guitar is the only instrument I can play, although I would love to be able to play drums.
14. Besides brutal death do you or Mike listen to other forms of music?
Oh, we listen to a wide variety of music. I have the heavier and rawer tastes, and Mike loves his prog, but we both have our non-metal "guilty pleasures".
15. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I read a lot. Mainly history, true crime and social-political books. I also watch a lot of football and hockey. And drinking beer. Can't forget beer.
16. Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out.Do you have any final words for the readers?
Thanks for the opportunity, I enjoyed it. My words for anyone reading this would be to educate yourself so you can formulate solid opinions based on fact. Don't believe the hype. Try before you buy. And if you ever feel like killing someone, listen to Never To Arise instead! That's what we're here for.
Band Contact: https://www.facebook.com/Never-To-Arise-117489404980631